Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Law Library Reference
Career Development Office
Student Professional Development
Learning About a Potential Employer
The following titles are located in our Career & Professional Resources Collection in the main reading room.
CORPORATE LEGAL DEPARTMENTS
Corporate legal department do not usually hire new graduates but depending on your work experience, you may find yourself applying for, and possibly interviewing with a corporation. Keep in mind that many large non-profit organizations have legal departments.
You should know the corporation's lines of business, the industries in which it competes, the outlook and prospects for each line of business, the financial health of the company, and its brands and trademarks.
See some of the book recommendations to the left for more tips.
YOUR ONLINE ACCOUNTS (Georgia Law Community Only)*
- Use the Companies & Markets tab to search by company name or ticker symbol for news and litigation highlights. The company search also retrieves stock performance, financials, management profiles, holdings, corporate actions and subsidiaries.
- Use the Help features
- Help > Companies & Markets > Looking up a Company Profile
- Help > News > Using the Specialized News Search
- America's Corporate Finance Directory - directory includes over 4,500 public and private U.S. companies with revenue income or pension assets in excess of $100,000,000 per year.
- Corporate Affiliations - contains profile information and corporate connections for more than 334,000 public and private companies
- Corporate Affiliations - Netherlands - includes more than 62,000 parent companies worldwide
- Hoover's Company and Industry Reports - in-depth records of public and private companies worldwide and overviews of the key industries in which those companies operate
- Martindale-Hubbell Law Directories - U.S., Canadian, international, government, law faculty
- Standard & Poor's Corporate - profiles and descriptions, daily news
- Directory of Corporate Counsel - biographical information on legal counsel for corporations and nonprofit organizations, includes organization-level listings of corporate counsel
- Executive Affiliation Records - contains information on individuals and executives worldwide associated with more than one corporation; information includes titles and positions held and basic information about specific businesses
OTHER ONLINE RESOURCES
Company Information - available through GALILEO - collection of databases with company information
Corporate Counsel - magazine, also called Corporate Counsel, focused on in-house legal departments. Most recent edition available on the website under Sections > The Magazine
- Also available in Westlaw
* If you do not have a Bloomberg Law, Lexis, or Westlaw account, stop by the Reference Desk to pick-up access information.
Before the interview it's important to learn about the potential employer. This will help in drafting a cover letter and, if selected for an interview, in answering questions and conversing with your interviewers.
You should know the size of the firm, the backgrounds of the key partners and interviewers, who the key clients are, and the areas of practice in which the firm specializes. See some of the book recommendations to the left for more tips.
YOUR ONLINE ACCOUNTS
- White Paper: New Attorney Readiness - Find out how hiring partners assessed new attorney skills.
- Litigation Profile Suite - compiled data about people like experts, judges, attorneys.
- Top left Lexis Advance Research pull down menu
- Martindale-Hubbell Law Directories - Martindale-Hubbell provides biographical info on practicing attorneys and brief profiles of U.S. and international law firms. You can search by attorney or firm name, area of practice or law school, city, state or country, or any combination of these fields.
- Findlaw Career Focus - tips on job searching and interviewing (Findlaw is owned by Thomson Reuters, West's parent company)
- West Legal Directory (datebase name: WLD) - a biographical directory of over 1 million law firms and attorneys. Template searching allows users to provide as much information as available to run a search. For searches on fields not contained in the template, click on Term Search or Natural Language to reach the query editor box.
OTHER ONLINE RESOURCES
- NALP Directory of Legal Employers - provides specific information on law firms, government agencies, public interest organizations, and corporations, including lawyer demographics, practice areas, compensation and benefits, diversity and inclusion practices.
- The NLJ 500 - ranks law firms by size, total partners vs. total associates, starting salary, with a brief profile for featured firms
- SuperLawyers - peer reviews of top attorneys throughout the country; identify graduates by school, practice areas, and location
225 Herty Drive Athens, GA 30602-6012 | (706) 542-5077 | University of Georgia School of Law. All rights reserved.